After witnessing the ravages of the 1969 massive oil spill in Santa Barbara, California, Earth Day founder, Gaylord Nelson, US Senator from Wisconsin, announced the idea for a “national teach-in on the environment”. On April 22,1970, 20 million Americans took to the streets, parks, and auditoriums to demonstrate for a healthy, sustainable environment in massive coast-to-coast rallies. Since then, Earth Day has reached into its current status as the largest secular observance in the world, celebrated every year on April 22.
So how can you and your company make a difference in support of this massive movement? It’s simple! Next time you are considering a branded giveaway, consider if those items are made from recycled materials and/or can be recycled after they outlive their usefulness. Not every product category in the promotional products world is available with an eco-friendly option, but plenty are, so maybe it’s time to ask that question.
In the meantime, you can ponder a few of the following ideas – time-honored and new – to support this year’s Earth Day celebration.
- Eco Core Golf Balls: 100% recycled material and features a rubber core from recycled tires
- Eco Fleece Blanket: 70% virgin polyester / 30% Repreve® certified recycled polyester
- Recycled Notebook: Paperboard cover with 70 sheets of lined recycled paper
- Eco Bike Bottle: BPA / BPS-Free Recycled HDPE (high density polyethylene)
- Bamboo Award: Renewable and recyclable bamboo on black iron stand
- Recyclable Pen/Highlighter: Recycled paper & plastic
- Eco Plastic Handle Bags: 40% recycled polyethylene, 100% recyclable
The number of eco-happy products offered in the advertising specialties industry is growing – not just because it’s a worthy cause – but because the demand is there with companies across the country that want their audience to know they have the same far-sighted regard for our planet as they do. Use this year’s Earth Day celebration as a reason to get on board the eco-happy train!